long distance relocation

Long distance relocation is a service where household effects are shipped a distance where hourly rates are not cost effective. Costs are determined by the weight and guaranteed by a survey of the effects to be shipped. There are various options available in regards to packing which affect cost depending on how much and what type of packing is done.


How Weight is Determined


A visual survey of your home and household possessions is arranged with the local consultant. The moving consultant will be fully versed in the requirements of your relocation. During the survey the moving consultant will discuss with you certain key subjects that have a direct effect on the successful outcome of the move to your new home. At this time it is important to identify all furniture and effects to be relocated, as this will be the basis of the guaranty on cost for your move. A table of measure identifying effects to be moved as well as effects not to be moved will be presented to you with your estimate, it is very important that you review and sign where required on this list as it directly affects the guaranty.


On loading day the truck is weighed at a bonded scale prior to loading you effects and weighed again once your household has been loaded in its entirety. The difference between the two scale tickets is the actual weight of your effects. Billing is based on the actual weight within the guaranty; lower actual weight applies to a minimum of five hundred pounds. Should there be any discrepancy between the actual weight and the 10% guaranty the inventory done at the time of loading and the Table of Measurement are compared should there be no major differences the 10% guaranty will remain in effect, should there be added items, cost will be based on actual weight, this is why it is important to review the Table of Measurement.


The Table of Measurement which is the recorded results of the visual survey and assigns either a weight or cubic footage to the individual item. If the total estimated weight is calculated by cubic footage 6.5 pounds per cubic foot is averaged to calculate weight. For a example of a calculating Table of Measurement: (link to spreadsheet).



Services Provided



Relocation service includes a survey of effects to be shipped which the guaranty is based on. Options, addresses and move dates are noted at this time along with any information pertaining to the move.


On moving day the effects are inventoried noting the item and its condition, for cartons client packed or carrier packed is noted.


Major items are wrapped in furniture pads in the house which are secured by taped (never adhered to the finish of the piece).


Items are loaded and loaded and secured in the truck by the movers.


When the shipment is delivered, delivery dates are given ahead of time and where an exact date is not provided the driver must provide a minimum of 24 hours notice. A minimum and maximum time are provided with the initial estimate and are guaranteed.


Normal disassembly and reassembly of furnishings is carried out by the mover.



Self packing, clients can pack cartons they procure on their own, or buy cartons from their moving company. Often used cartons are available in good clean condition at a discounted rate. Responsibility to use the proper packing methods is the clients and owner packed cartons are covered only if there is visible damage to the carton. The mover will provide packing guidelines to you in a written form.


Partial or Breakable item packing is a packing service where fragile items or high value items are packed by the mover. These include but are not limited to items such as chinaware, stemware, pictures, mirrors, ornaments and electronics, each household tends to be different in this regard. Costing is by the carton and unpacking is generally included in this option. All packing done by the mover is fully covered


Complete Packing Service is the complete packing of the household by the mover. Complete packing service is done a cost per weight basis and guaranteed in the cost of the move as per the survey. Unpacking can be done by the client or by the mover and is considered a separate service and is an additional cost. All packing done by the mover is fully covered.



Special Requirements

Beyond the preceding services offered either directly or through third party services also include:


Vehicle shipping either on the moving van or through a third party rail service.


Crating for special items.


Appliance servicing, pool table servicing and electrical disconnects.


A containerized service for clients requiring extended transit schedules.


Valet service unpacking.


House cleaning services.



Some helpful tips:


    Relocating from Canada to the United States is a relatively straightforward process, providing all of the necessary documentation is properly completed. Your personal household goods and personal effects are permitted to enter duty-free providing they have been in your possession and used by you for at least one year.


    Goods that don’t meet this criterion are subject to assessed duty, which ranges from 2% to 25%. These percentages are subject to change, so you should check with the nearest U.S. Consulate office to obtain the current rates of duty.


    One cautionary note – if you do not declare new items or understate the value of the items, U.S. Customs can confiscate the items, assess actual duty and assign a monetary penalty. Therefore, if you are considering making purchases of expensive items, prior to your move, you may want to compare the cost to actually making your purchase in the United States.


    Antiques must be 100 years or older to be eligible for duty-free entry. Customs will require that you prove this, so be prepared to furnish a receipt or an appraisal. You will be required to complete the United State’s Treasury Form #3299 (Declaration of Free Entry of Articles Not Accompanying a Resident or Non-resident)


    Household Effects and Tools of Trade or Occupation are defined by the U.S. Government as:


    All Furniture



    Tableware Linens

    And similar household furnishings



    While it is not normal practice to charge duty on used personal items, technically some items such as jewelry, photographic equipment, vehicles, consumable articles etc. may, be dutiable. You should check with the nearest U.S. Consulate in your Canadian city for specific information. If you are already in the United States, contact your nearest Customs Office listed in U.S. telephone directories under U.S. Government Offices, Treasury Department.

  • Free Entry of Household Goods & Personal Effects

  • What Happens When Your Possessions arrive in the United States?

    Entry of Dutiable Items


    If dutiable items are contained in your shipment, a licensed Customs House Broker will be engaged to prepare an Informal Entry ( Form 5119-A )


    Each dutiable item must be specifically identified with the Harmonized Tariff of the United States.


    The broker’s fee for this service is approximately $3.00 per line item, although fees can vary. These charges are collected on a C.O.D. basis at time of delivery to your destination residence, unless such charges are authorized in advance to be billed to a corporate customer


    What Happens When Your Possessions arrive in the United States?


    Generally customers are not present at the border when the Parkway Van Lines operator arrives with your possessions on board. We are usually able to clear your shipment for delivery to residence at this point, providing all of your documentation is in order. If there is a problem, the shipment will be placed ” IN BOND” to the closest customs office to your new home. You will be required by law to personally appear to clear your goods.


    To clear your shipment, we require the following documentation:


    Copy of your visa (work or study)

    Copy of offer of employment letter (salary info can be marked out)

    Copy of front page from your passport clearly showing your photograph

    Other photo identification if you do not have a passport (i.e. driver’s license)

    U.S. Customs Form #3299

    Copy of Letter of Compliance from Auto Manufacturer

  • Importing a Motor Vehicle into The United States

    This is the area which seems to cause the most problems when proper steps have not been taken well in advance of your moving date. Your automobile must comply with U.S. Safety and Environmental Protection Standards.


    In some instances, a temporary approval can be obtained for a non-performing vehicle, however in those instances, the vehicle must be exported one year after entry with no extensions permitted. Unless you know for certain that you will be in the United States for less than one year, you must take steps to ensure that your car meets the appropriate standards.


    The first step is to contact (by letter or fax), the manufacturer of your automobile and request a “Letter of Compliance” to safety and emissions’ standards. You will be required to provide the vehicle Identification Number, Make, Model and Year as well as the name of the registered owner. They will arrange to forward a letter advising if your automobile qualifies and what if any upgrades must be done to bring the vehicle to standards.


    Your Fred Guy Moving representative can provide you with the contact number for the various automobile manufacturers. if you prefer, you can locate this information on the internet on the National Traffic Safety Association web site at:


    This site also provides a listing of Registered Importers who are able to bring your vehicle up to standard. There is also a listing by year, make and model of non conforming vehicles which have been granted special exemption status and will be eligible for importation even though they do not meet standards.


    If your vehicle does not meet emission control standards, it will not be eligible for importation. Individual state emission requirements may differ from those of the federal government. Registration and state licensing is dependent upon satisfaction of that State’s requirement, so you should contact the appropriate State’s authority prior to importation.


    You can link to the EPA Mobile Sources Site from the NHTSA site.


    Two useful brochures:

    Know Before You Go – Customs Hints for Returning U.S. Residents

    Customs Hints for Visitors and Non-Residents


    Can be obtained from a local U.S. Customs office or by writing to their office in Washington:


    U.S. Customs

    P.O. Box 7407

    Washington, D.C. 20044

  • Importing Firearms

    There are a number of restrictions relating to the importation of firearms. You must contact the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) to obtain an important permit. Some antique firearms are exempt from this requirement but you should speak to the ATF for full information. Request Form #OMB No. 1512-0017. You can contact them at:


    Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

    Washington, DC, 20226

    Attention: Firearms and Explosives

    Imports Branch

    (202) 927-7777

  • Importing Household Plants

    There are no restrictions on the importation of household plants and bare-rooted outdoor plants. In some instances, a phytosanitary certificate may, be required. Check with U.S. Customs for more information.

  • Importing Alcohol and Tobacco

    You are permitted to take the following quantities of these items into the U.S. for your personal use:


    40 Ounces per family member over 18 years of age

    100 Cigarettes

    50 Cigars

    2 kg. (4.4 lbs) of smoking tobacco

    Please note that moving companies cannot take alcoholic beverages on the moving van with your furniture.


    If you have a wine collection or the contents of a bar, you will be required to obtain an import permit. Regulations vary by State. Check with U.S. Customs for more specific information.

  • Importing Pets into the United States

    You may take domestic dogs and cats into the United States providing you have proof of a rabies vaccination and a certificate signed by a veterinarian stating that the animal is in good health. Birds require a minimum of a 30-day period of quarantine at the owner’s expense. Endangered species and other wildlife are prohibited from entry. Check with U.S. customs for full details.

  • Useful Contacts

    Customs inquiries can be directed to your closest U.S. customs office or you can contact:


    United States Customs Service

    P.O. Box 7407

    Washington, D.C.2004


    (202) 633-2000


    Useful internet sites for immigration information can be found at:




  • Useful Numbers

    You may also contact the NHTSA by mail, phone or fax:


    U.S. Department of Transportation

    National Highway Traffic Safety


    Director of the Office of Vehicle

    Safety Compliance



    400 – 7th Street SW

    Washington, DC, 20590

    (202) 366-5313 – Phone

    (202)366-1024 – Fax


    For general EPA information Contact:

    U.S. EPA

    Manufacturers Operations

    Division 6405-J

    Investigations / Imports Section


    401 M Street SW

    Washington, DC, 20460

    (202) 233 9660 – Phone

    (202) 233-9596 – Fax